Though broken bones, scars, and muscle injuries can be devastating, traumatic brain injuries can be life-changing in ways that no one should have to experience.
If you or someone you love has sustained a traumatic brain injury (TBI) due to the negligence of another person, consider seeking legal counsel from a California personal injury attorney.
There are many causes of traumatic brain injuries, a number of which may be preventable with adequate care.
The experienced team at Wells Call Injury Lawyers has secured hundreds of millions of dollars in awards for victims like you.
We have served clients across the state for over 40 years and want to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Contact us for your free case consultation.
What Is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury is any kind of internal or external physical impact to the head that wounds the skull or brain.
The International Brain Injury Association provides a series of staggering facts regarding the prevalence and severity of brain injuries:
- Annually, one million Americans are treated and released from hospital emergency departments as a result of traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Brain injury is the leading cause of death and disability worldwide.
- Of all types of injury, those to the brain are among the most likely to result in death or permanent disability.
- An estimated 5.3 million Americans are living today with disabilities related to a traumatic brain injury.
- Traumatic brain injury is the leading cause of seizure disorders.
Over 2.8 million Americans experience a brain injury each year in varying degrees, according to BrainLine.
For approximately 85% of people with TBI, complications eventually resolve, though recovery may take an extended amount of time and treatment. The remaining 15% have lasting difficulties.
What Are Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries in California?
When determining what causes traumatic brain injuries, it is important to look for impact to the head. There are circumstances where the impact can be seemingly minor and still cause significant damage.
Some of the most common causes of traumatic brain injuries are the following.
Falls do not have to be from any great height to cause significant damage. Falling at a convenience store on spilled soda may cause just as much harm as falling from a ladder or downstairs.
A doctor should evaluate any impact you sustain to your head during a fall.
The unexpected impact from a vehicle collision can cause the head to snap in different directions. When you don’t have time to brace your neck in anticipation of movement, it cannot properly support or stabilize your head.
This may result in an impact between your head and the inside of the vehicle.
The amount of damage depends on several factors, including the angle of the collision, vehicle speed, and the size of the person.
Virtually all athletic activities have some risk of TBI.
Brain injuries are more prevalent in contact sports such as football or boxing, but they are also well documented in soccer, skiing, cheerleading, baseball, and countless other sports.
Some of these risks can be reasonably minimized by using adequate safety equipment and following rules.
This type of injury is often dramatic and severe. Anytime the skull is penetrated by an object, it is an emergency.
This often happens due to gunshots or a collision with a sharp object.
Though less common than some of the other causes, explosive blasts can also cause TBI.
These are often situational, generally occurring for those who work with explosives as part of their professions.
Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injuries
A TBI must be diagnosed by a medical professional.
Diagnostics are different for every case and may involve a combination of neurological exams and scans using advanced medical equipment.
Having an official diagnosis is important if you are filing a personal injury claim related to a TBI. Some injuries can be difficult and may take time to become apparent.
Here are some potential symptoms of traumatic brain injuries:
- Fatigue or drowsiness,
- Slurred speech,
- Nausea or vomiting,
- Blurred vision,
- Ringing in the ears,
- Mood changes,
- Difficulty concentrating,
- Loss of memory, or
- Lack of coordination
It is important to seek professional medical attention if there is any indication of head trauma.
Contact a California Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney
The effects of TBI are not to be undervalued, but there is a good chance they will be if you are not properly represented.
It is important to consider the current and future impact and expenses that accompany a TBI so that you are sufficiently compensated for losses such as medical bills, additional care, home modifications, medical equipment, and loss of future earnings.
At Wells Call Injury Lawyers, our legal team is dedicated to helping you achieve justice and support for your recovery by getting you the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today to get started.