After a Richmond, CA car accident, you may wonder what to do. An important document to obtain following a car accident is your Richmond, CA accident report. A car accident report serves to assist you if you decide to pursue a personal injury claim.
Contact an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss the best path forward to recover compensation for your injuries.
What to Do After a Richmond Car Accident
As a general guideline, California law requires you to report an accident in California if the following conditions are present:
- Anyone suffers injuries or is killed,
- A driver lacks a valid license,
- A driver is intoxicated, or
- Property damage exceeds $1,000.
However, it is always recommended to request the presence of a police officer after a car accident.
Following a car accident, if physically able, it is always recommended that you take the following steps:
- Stop. Never leave the scene of a car accident. Even if you believe no damage resulted from the car accident, you must stop.
- Get help. If you or anyone else involved in the car accident suffers injuries, immediately call for medical assistance. Safely wait for emergency services by using your vehicle’s hazard lights or lighting flares, if possible.
- Stay safe. If your car is still operational, it’s important to move your car to an area where it is safe from danger. If unable to move your vehicle, protect yourself from danger by moving to a safer area.
- Call the police. It’s important to always contact the police following an accident. A reporting office may create an accident report including important details regarding the accident from an unbiased and reputable individual.
- Exchange Information. Obtain the contact information and insurance information for the drivers involved in the car accident.
- Talk to witnesses. Obtain the names and contact information for any witnesses to the car accident. These witnesses may provide statements to your insurance company that may support your claim for recovery.
- Gather Evidence. If possible, take photographs and gather any other evidence detailing the scene of the accident.
- Report the accident. Contact your insurance company to report the accident and begin your claim process.
It is always recommended to reach out to a qualified personal injury attorney to protect your rights following a car accident.
What Information Does a Richmond Accident Report Provide?
A Richmond accident report provides important unbiased information from the reporting officer. Generally, a car accident report provides the following information:
- The location of the accident,
- The date and time of the accident,
- Vehicle or other property damage,
- Witness and driver statements, and
- Environmental conditions.
The facts provided by the reporting officer may support your position and recollection of the car accident. If the accident report includes information establishing fault, this may serve to support a personal injury claim.
Why Is a Richmond Accident Report Important?
A reporting officer to your car accident creates a Richmond accident report and provides an unbiased observation of the accident. The Richmond accident report may strengthen your case if you move forward with a personal injury lawsuit. In fact, an insurance company may require a police report for their records. Furthermore, a Richmond accident report may also include the reporting officer’s observations as to the party at fault for the accident.
How to Obtain a Richmond Police Report
To obtain a copy of a Richmond accident report, contact the Richmond Police Department Records Division at 510-620-6675. Upon request, the police department makes the report available in approximately seven to ten days. A copy of a Richmond accident report costs $21.00. In certain situations, a report may not be available if the case is under investigation.
Wells Call Injury Lawyers focuses on putting our extensive experience to work for you, so you can focus on your recovery. The attorneys at Wells Call Injury Lawyers assist our clients in getting the medical treatment they need and deal with insurance companies on their behalf.
Start the steps to pursuing a personal injury claim after a car accident by contacting Wells Call Injury Lawyers today to discuss the facts of your case and how we can best serve you.